- Focus on the fun aspects of starting a new school year- seeing old friends, making new friends, learning new fun stuff.
- Avoid saying things that make your child worry or feel guilty like "I wonder if your teacher will be nice," "I wonder how hard your work will be this year," or "I'm going to miss you so much."
- Get back onto the school schedule at home with bed time and wake up time a couple weeks ahead of time. A steady sleep schedule and routine sets your child up for success.
- Reconnect with school friends. Set up some play dates with kids
- Get Excited! If you are excited instead of worries your child will pick up on that positive energy and be excited about starting school too.
The transition back to school can be a challenge for many kids and families. Here are some simple pointers to help make it a smooth transition.
Parent and Child Psychological Services is a private practice serving children and families in Sarasota and St. Petersburg, Florida. The practice is owned and operated by Dr. Gibson, a Licensed Psychologist who is Board Certified in Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology.