psychoeducational and gifted testing
Find more detailed information about gifted testing in Sarasota County at www.sarasotacountyschools.net/Page/2638
Parent and Child Psychological Services strives to provide you with the most accurate representation of your child's intellectual and academic abilities. Testing sessions may last several hours. You are encouraged to bring snacks and remain on site. We will offer your child as many breaks as are needed. After testing is complete you will receive a report and have the opportunity to discuss the results. The report is not shared with anyone else without your permission.
- This type of evaluation starts by providing an IQ, which is an indicator of a client’s cognitive abilities. An IQ score provides information about general cognitive abilities, as well as strengths and weaknesses in the cognitive domain. IQ is one component of assessing Intellectual Giftedness.
- Achievement testing can provide information about the grade level on which a client is functioning in certain areas (reading writing, mathematics, and oral language.)
- Each school district sets clear guidelines about gifted eligibility, and makes the final decision about which students to accept into gifted programs. Testing is just one portion of the process for applying to a gifted program.
- Information about gifted identification procedures in Sarasota County can be found at these links: 1) Sarasota County Schools, 2) The Pine View School.
- This type of evaluation is often used to assess intellectual functioning, or when there are suspected learning problems that need to be further explored.
- A personalized battery of assessment measures is created for each child or adolescent based on the referral question(s).
- A psychoeducational evaluation generally involves a minimum of IQ and achievement testing, and may involve other assessment measures. An IQ score provides information about general cognitive abilities, as well as strengths and weaknesses in the cognitive domain. IQ is one component of assessing for intellectual disability and one component of assessing for learning disabilities as well.
- Achievement testing assesses where a child is functioning academically in multiple areas (math, reading, writing, oral language)
- This type of evaluation can be used to help your child receive needed services and accommodations in school including an Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan.
- Information about services for students in Public Schools in Sarasota County can be found at: Exceptional Student Education