Recommendations for improving sleep for adolescents:
- Remove televisions from bedroom. Limit computer and phone use (*again, limit screen time at night and stop use at least 30 minutes before bedtime)
- Talk with your teen about recommended number of hours and consequences, ask him or her to help problem solve and determine what time to get into bed to get minimum number of sleep hours.
- Maintain / Encourage consistent bed times and schedule, even on the weekend.
- Avoid afternoon/evening caffeine
- A 15-20 minute early afternoon nap can help
- Help your teenager keep a quiet, dark, and cool room
- Encourage your teen to get out of bed and do something different if he or she cannot fall asleep after 30 minutes lying in bed (an activity not involving electronics)
If problems are ongoing and significantly affecting child (or parent) functioning please seek additional support to rule out medical issues or causes. Also, medications, stress, anxiety and depression can each influence the quality and amount of sleep and should be considered when evaluating the causes of problems and where to begin for support.
Resources and References: